Professor David Grinlinton
VRD, BA, LLB (Hons), LLM, MDS; Barrister & Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand
David Grinlinton has been with the Faculty since 1990 having previously spent time in legal practice.
David's teaching and research interests include real property law, mining, energy and natural resources law. He has published widely in these areas, and is a regular presenter at both local and international conferences and symposia.
David is also a Founding Member of the New Zealand Centre for Environmental Law which is based in the Faculty and is a member of the editorial board of the New Zealand Journal of Environmental Law.
Research | Current
- Land law
- Housing law and policy
- Property rights and natural resources
- Energy and mining law
- Environmental enforcement
- Interrelationship between property rights and environmental law
- Sustainable energy and wind farm developments
Teaching | Current
- LAW 301 Land Law
- LAWENVIR 401 Resource Management Law
- LAWGENRL 438 Housing Law and Policy
- Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Grinlinton, D. P. (2017). Tenant liability for negligent damage following Holler v Osaki. New Zealand Universities Law Review, 27 (3), 625-653. Related URL.
- Grinlinton, D. (2017). The continuing relevance of common law property rights and remedies in addressing environmental challenges. McGill Law Journal, 62 (3), 633-686.
- Grinlinton, D. (2016). Horizontal and Vertical Integration of Sustainability into Policymaking, Planning and Implementation of Renewable Energy Projects—The New Zealand Model. In V. Mauerhofer (Ed.) Legal Aspects of Sustainable Development: Horizontal and Sectorial Policy Issues (pp. 423-448). Switzerland: Springer International Publishing. 10.1007/978-3-319-26021-1_21
- Salmon, P., & Grinlinton, D. (Eds.) (2015). Environmental law in New Zealand. Wellington, New Zealand: Thomson Reuters. Pages: 1134.
- Palmer, K., & Grinlinton, D. (2014). Developments in Renewable Energy Law and Policy in New Zealand. Journal of Energy & Natural Resources Law, 32 (3), 245-272. 10.1080/02646811.2014.11435362
- Grinlinton, D. P. (2013). Integrating Sustainability into Environmental Law and Policy in New Zealand. In K. Bosselmann, D. P. Grinlinton, P. Taylor (Eds.) Environmental Law for a Sustainable Society. Auckland, N.Z.: New Zealand Centre for Environmental Law.
- Grinlinton, D. P. (2012). Residential Tenancies: The Law and Practice (4th edition). Wellington, N.Z.: Lexis Nexis New Zealand. Pages: 372. Related URL.
- Grinlinton, D., & Taylor, P. (2011). Property rights and sustainability : the evolution of property rights to meet ecological challenges. The Netherlands: Martinus Nijhoff. Pages: 430.